Modelling is an extremely lucrative career. You could become world renowned, earn a lot of money, and even move on to acting jobs. Just look at Cara Delevingne: she was catapulted into the spotlight and she’s gone from strength to strength since. She has millions of followers, fans, and has even put her acting skills to the test. Does modelling sound like a career that appeals to you? Find out if you’ve got what it takes…
Do You Have Something Unique About You?
Almost all models have something unique and different about them. Cara Delevingne has the world’s most amazing eyebrows. Gaby Espino has amazing eyes. Try to find something unique about yourself and then play it up. You’ll often find that models aren’t technically ‘pretty’. Many are weird looking; almost ethereal. However, it depends what kind of modelling you’d like to do.
Do You Know What Sort of Modelling You’d Like to Do?
Speaking of the type of modelling you’d like to do, there are many different kinds to choose from to help you build a lucrative career. There’s catalogue modelling, fitness modelling, glamour, and more. Here’s a rundown of what each will be likely to entail:
- Glamour modelling will usually involve posing in underwear, or topless. You’ll be expected to have a good body and look beautiful, with nice hair and makeup. These women are conventionally pretty, most of the time.
- Catwalk modelling will involve wearing all kinds of different clothes by different designers. You might wear something fairly normal one day, and something totally wacky the next. Catwalk models are usually very slim, and have something unique about their appearance. They aren’t always conventionally pretty.
- Catalogue modelling will involve posing for pictures in different brands. You’ll need a great smile and posing skills for this.
- Fitness modelling requires you to have a great body. If you’re modelling for a certain supplement, you’ll need to have a body type to match that supplement. Looking great in a bikini is a must.
- Plus size modelling is for women who are bigger than average. They usually have pretty faces and model clothes for larger ladies.
Think about which type of modelling suits you best and then do your research on that industry. It won’t be sunshine and roses all the time, so you need to be prepared for both the good and the bad.
Do You Have the Right Personality and Attitude?
Being the next top model isn’t just about looking the part and knowing what’s best for you. You need the right personality and attitude to make it. You should be laidback, and leave your ego at the door when you apply for shoots. Being a diva won’t get you very far. You need to be polite and courteous, and able to follow instruction. Most of the time you’ll be working with people who can be blunt or rude, so you need to be able to take criticism well. Just make sure you don’t drastically change yourself to try to forge a modelling career. Love yourself and others will copy!