You will see extensive web banner ads, video campaigns, blog posts and mobile applications flooding the internet. All these are integral components of digital marketing. Digital marketing has greatly influenced marketing and advertising sector with its compelling features that offers instant response, convenience, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness. The popularity of e-commerce and the boost in cloud based technology has encouraged the youth to work in the field of digital marketing. The start-ups specifically are embracing the digital marketing strategies for the promotion of their products, services and brands.
Digital marketing has opened the gates for online and social media marketing departments. It is a vibrant and thriving area encapsulating variety of segments that covers Social Media
Management, Content creation, E-mail marketing, Designing, Data Analysis, SEO/SMM and many more. You need to analyze your strengths and identify your interests to gain the expertise in a particular area of digital marketing. It will give you an advantage if you possess the knowledgeregarding all the areas and have the specialization in one or two areas of digital marketing. In this context, we enlist the various areas that hold good career prospects when it comes to digital marketing:
- SEO: Optimization of web pages is a crucial aspect of digital marketing. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)is an unpaid method used to improve the visibility of a web page on the different search engines that include Google, Bing, and Yahoo etc.
- SEM: Sponsored ads are another method used to increase the visibility of the webpages. A specialist in SEM should have the knowledge of designing and executing PPC campaigns that uses paid search listing to maximize the visibility of a web page through purchased traffic.
- SMM: The emergence of social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Reddit, Instagram etc. has made Social Media Marketing (SMM) a popular concept. An expert digital marketer knows how to benefit from the power of social media and use it for the promotion of the brand.
- Email Marketing: Organizations send occasional newsletters, email campaigns and auto responders to engage the customers and leads into the brand. This is done to keep their subscribers updated with the latest products and offers of the organization.
- Web Analytics: Areas including traffic analysis, market and business research and boosting the web traffic comes under the purview of Web Analytics. Google Analytics is a popular name that gives the insight into the functioning of the website.
- Mobile Marketing: This is the age where people are using smartphones over a desktop. Mobile marketing is the aspect of digital marketing that attracts a mobile freak providing instant updates, promotional offers and information of customer interests through a website exclusively designed to be operated by smart devices.
How can you Start a Career in Digital Marketing?
If the various specializations of digital marketing fascinates you and if you want to switch your career to digital marketing then the following pointers will be helpful:
- Dig into the areas of digital marketing through extensive research and reading. Search for the various blogs and articles to explore the world of digital marketing. With the help of these blogs and articles, you will be able to accumulate the fundamentals, techniques and strategies for digital marketing.
- Enroll yourself for a certificate course in digital marketing or a one related to any of its aspect such as design, content curation, SEO, PPC to name a few. This will give you the leverage in the industry as you will be clear with the basics of digital marketing. Pick your specialization wisely depending on your passion and skills as it helps you get noticed by the recruiters in your desired industry.
- Look for live events, seminars and webinars happening around in your city. Reserve your seats for these sessions as often as possible so that you can increase your knowledge regarding digital marketing and its aspects. These events also prove beneficial as you get to meet like-minded people exchanging their career views and future prospects in the area.
- Focus on the business perspective of digital marketing. Solely having the skills will not allow you to have a sturdy career in the field. You need to understand how it can contribute to the business of the organization.
Digital Marketing hence is a lucrative career option today. With data analysis ruling the world of marketing and digitization taking over, the field of Digital Marketing is enlarging attracting vibrant career opportunities.
Author’s Bio: Agniva Banerjee is a writer by profession. She likes curating informative articles and blogs on diverse areas that provides a good read. She loves engaging the readers through her words and welcomes feedback of all sorts. Connect to her on Twitter @Agniva_B